Home HockeyBuzz Register Login
"Hail to the Chief!!"
Vancouver, BC • Canada • 39 Years Old • Male
Last fall, when Bobby Clarke was asked about why he tendered Ryan Kesler an offer sheet, he went on the offensive and blamed it on Nonis. Well, first he said he followed the rules as outlined in the CBA, and if you don't like the rules, call the commissioner.

But the thing he said that was of real intersest was when he questioned by Nonis had left his RFA unsigned for so long, leaving him open to this kind of deal.

The problem was that there hadn't been an offer sheet since 1999 when little known Brett Hauer received one from Tampa Bay. RFA's have minimal rights and the Canucks have long used this fact to keep their RFA's salaries from becoming inflated. So letting them stay unsigned all summer was never an issue.

NO MORE.

Do you know how many RFA's Dave Nonis has to sign over the rest of the summer? None. He got Lukas Krajicek signed to a multi-year deal right before the free agenzy freny started. He did not want to face the same troubles with an offer sheet this year.

This is a complete change in how the Vancouver hockey club has dealt with their teams in the past. RFA's were always dealt with last...and never before July 1.

It's too bad Nonis got screwed on that offer sheet last year, but he's adapted, and that's important. I just can't wait for Nonis to stick it to Philadelphia when Richards or Carter become RFA's in the next few years.

The Chief Canuck
Filed Under:   canucks   vancouver   free agent   rfa   offer sheet  
July 7, 2007 11:50 AM ET | Delete
canucks still have to sign Ryan Shannon...
July 7, 2007 12:03 PM ET | Delete
It was my understanding that Clarke sent that offer sheet in retaliation for Nonis taking Luongo. Clarke wanted him pretty badly and he was taken away leaving Clarke wanting payback. I wonder what our teams would be like now if Philly had gotten to Luongo first.
July 7, 2007 2:38 PM ET | Delete
RFA LEsson 101If Carter and Richards play like they played last year you can have them. I'll take Potulny,Giroux, Downie,JVR instead.
July 7, 2007 4:32 PM ET | Delete
July 7, 2007 8:10 PM ET | Delete
I read the TSN article re-posted last night and Kesler was signed in August, a month later than Vanek. Not to mention agents and players knew the high end guys would get offer sheets so they have waited to negotiate with their teams this year. The Sabres perhaps should have signed Vanek in Feb but he and his agent knew he was on a pace to have great #'s at the end of the year. I think we can expect many star RFA's wait to sign extensions in the future, unless teams overspend on their own.
asi
July 7, 2007 10:36 PM ET | Delete
we'd love to take richards.....big on carter first then let u guys sign him then bid on richards :D .....
July 8, 2007 1:51 AM ET | Delete
word get philly!! lol. this is a dangerous path. but the sabres shot themsleves in the foot so badly last year. when they had the opportunity to repeatedly sign with brierre who throughout the season in buffalo said he was interested in signing with buffalo for less but the sabres refused and said they would only work out contracts in the off season. if they extended brierre last off season or in january then they would be good. if they gave vanek a decent contract before now they could have saved some money and likewise with drury. but no they had a plan they stuck with and this is the result of said plan. now they have to bite the bullet that came out of their own gun. they also could have landed zubrus before free agency began. so if they want to whine about what has happened it's their own fault.as for the mentioning of stempiniak, he's in arbitration so no offer can be made to him. but i'd love to see someone stick to new jersey. though for the sake of the game not getting out of hand too soon after the lookout i hope it doesn't happen. the vanek deal actually made sense. if buffalo is whining about market size just remind them they refused to completely sell out every game next year on season tickets. that was their own idea once again. but they won't be hurting for money no way no how.
July 8, 2007 3:11 AM ET | Delete
Hey BluemanGu, Briere has had one good year and that was this year. He was awarded 5 million dollars last year in arbitration and most in the hockey world were shocked at that figure. Sure, it looks liek a bargain now but it didn't last year. Also, Chris Drury most likely would have signed with the Sabres if they signed Briere but they couldn't afford both of them and still keep Vanek. The Sabres also have another skillled center in Tim Connolly that management believes can play close to the level of Briere, he is more skilled. Agenst knew that star players might get RFA offers and didn't negotiate because they were waiting for the huge over payment type deals like Vanek got. Get your story straight before you preach about other teams.
Notice to Internet Explorer Users
There is an issue with the form blow that will make it appear that nothing happens when you click the post message button below. To see your message, after you click the post message button, refresh this page. Sorry for the troubles, we hope to have it fixed soon.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to leave a comment.