Home HockeyBuzz Register Login
"All Your Newmarket Hurricane News Right Here"
Bradford, ON • Canada • 26 Years Old • Male
Tonight’s action saw the hometown Hurricanes square off against the East Divisions Whitby Fury. Newmarket had one thing on their mind and that was redemption for their 4-0 loss to the Fury back on the 11th of this month. Tonight’s starting goalies would be Matt Wintjes in his 8th consecutive start for the hometown Newmarket Hurricanes and Tyler Feaver for the visiting Fury.

The first period saw the teams both evenly matched with both teams gaining numerous scoring chances but both goalies were solid when called upon. The Canes would find themselves shorthanded just one minute into the opening frame as Travis Dermott would be sent to the box to serve a minor for interference which the canes would manage to kill off. Both teams would then see each other trade power play chances with neither team being able to find the back of net. The hometown Hurricane fans after many close calls would finally have a chance to celebrate as Jeff Murray would put Newmarket on the board with just 30 seconds remaining in the opening 20 minutes of play with assists coming from Alternate captain Ian Farrell and Matt LeMasurier. The first period would come to an end with the canes leading 12-7 in shots and 1-0 on the board but there likely would have been more goals if it hadn’t been for a strong performance from Whitby’s Feaver.

The next period would see Newmarket come out a little sluggish and once again shorthanded as Dave Savery would be called for elbowing at 2:51 in what some may feel was a questionable call, But fortunately Whitby would fail to capitalize on the man advantage. A few minutes later Henry Thompson would assist Sean Durroch in getting Whitby even at a goal a piece with his goal coming at 8:21 of the 2nd period. With the score now tied 1-1 the Fury would begin pressing for the go ahead goal as momentum was now on the side of the visiting team. At 13:55 the Hurricanes would be given a chance to grab a hold of the game as Whitby’s Taylor Best would be called for tripping but the canes although they had chances weren’t able to find the back of the net, Newmarket would have 8 power play opportunities on the night and find themselves unable to score on all 8 chances. The 350 fans would see their Newmarket Hurricanes a man down when Captain Chris Chiste would get called for holding and he would look to serve 2 minutes or less. This time though the Fury would pull ahead on the power play and lead 2-1 with the goal coming at 19:34 With Sam Gray scoring the goal and Matt Davis and Tyler Park assisting on the power play marker. With 40 minutes in the books Whitby would be leading 2-1 and win the shot count for this frame by a score of 7-6.

With just 20 minutes left to play the Hurricane fans that had turned out to the complex would find themselves wondering if their Canes would be able to come back. Well their questions were soon answered as Newmarket would come out with a lot of jump and energy playing aggressive and winning puck battles. This strong play would lead Newmarket to pull even with Whitby as for the second time tonight Jeff Murray would find the back of the net at 3:51 into the 3rd period this goal would be unassisted. Fans would then find themselves breathing a little easier as Chris Chiste would earn himself the game winning goal as he would light the lamp at 5:02 of the third and final period. Defensemen Alex Bontje and Forward Brycin Morrison would pick up the assists in Captain Chiste’s winning goal. Momentum was clearly on the side of the Hurricanes after this and it would show as tempers would get the best of the visiting Fury with Sam Gray getting nabbed with a 2 minute unsportsmanlike penalty followed by 10 minute misconduct for a check to the head, this would be followed by two separate boarding calls each being served by Chris Raguseo and Ryan Logan who would see their team now down 2 men thus giving Newmarket a chance to clinch tonight’s with a 5 on 3 power play goal. But with Newmarket unable to score on the 2 man advantage they would then find themselves having to fight off one final offensive attack as Whitby would pull their goalie and have the extra attacker with the hopes of simply grabbing the single point and maybe earning the bonus point in either the 5 minute extra frame or the shoot out. Overtime would not be needed as Whitby would have a chance in close with had the shot gone in the goal would have tied things at 3 a piece instead everyone in the building saw the shot go wide as the final buzzer went earning the Hurricanes a hard fought 3-2 win to give them now 13 points on the season and a 7 point lead in the North Division. Shots in the 3rd period would see Newmarket finish with 11 giving them a total of 29 on the evening and Whitby gathering 9 shots on goal and finishing the night with 23 total shots. Jeff Murray would be voted tonight’s player of the game thanks to his 2 goal performance.

The next action for Newmarket will come Friday night as the Canes will see themselves traveling to Pickering for the second time in this young season to face off against former Hurricanes Matt Galati and Jeff Heard of the surprising panthers.

I unfortunately won’t be able to make this trip so my next installment will come after the game October 4th as Jerome Dupont and his Trenton Golden Hawks come to town in what is sure to be an exciting match up.

Joe Boyer
Filed Under:   HurricanesOJHL  
September 28, 2012 4:23 PM ET | Delete
That's alot of words for an OJHL game, don't burn my eyes as much next time.
September 29, 2012 11:58 AM ET | Delete
if you saw the game there was a lot to cover but i was just trying to cover the experience for people who can't get there that's all thanks for reading though
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to leave a comment.