Posted 5:22 PM ET | Comments 4
Colorado hosts Anaheim tonight in what should be a spirited contest. Anaheim has won all three meetings with Colorado this season, but keep in mind, by only one goal each game. Personally, I thought the Avs could have won all 3 games but somehow Anaheim squeaked out the victories in each contest.
Here are some quick-hit keys to Colorado beating the defending Stanley Cup Champions:
1. "Don't let them intimidate you". We all know the Ducks can hit, muck it up, shut you down and beat you to a pulp. Colorado still needs to come out flying and keep the pressure on at all times. Coach Q should be screamin' at the boys to "finish your checks" tonight!
2. Take advantage of the PP...hopefully. The Ducks currently sit 15th on the PK while Colorado is still suffering on the PP, ranked dead last at 30th. Forsberg got LOTS of space against the Canucks, though I doubt the Ducks will play him soft. If Colorado can get this area working, they shouldn't have a problem winning a lot of games down the stretch. I really think Salei has been a great addition, not only defensively but has also proved he has a nose for the net on the PP.
3. Score the first goal and PLEASE don't sit back! The Avs have a great record when they score the first goal. However, too often this season they have had the lead and then let it slip away by sitting back on their heels. Again, they've had good success when leading but need to keep their foot on the gas.
4. A full-fledged commitment from the whole team, not just certain players. Wolski was a healthy scratch for 4 straight games (i think) and I thought he played ok in his return last Tuesday. We all know this guy has big-time potential and this is a great opportunity to show it! Jose and his Defense have really stepped up big lately, now we just need our forwards to pick it up and keep scoring!
5. DON'T GET HURT!!! The "Curse of the 'S'" continues to plague the Avs. Let's hope we have seen the last of the injuries to our big-time players.
My prediction: 4-3 Avalanche
As always, GO AVS GO!!