Well, with the look of the Flyers roster becoming clearer as we approach opening day, here are my predictions for how the 2012-13 season will shake out for the Flyers. Will be fun to revisit these in June and see how close I got.
1. Paul Holmgren will sign Michal Rosival to a one year deal in an attempt to fill the hole on defense after the injury to Meszaros.
2. Andrej Meszaros does not return until the final game of the regular season.
3. Chris Pronger does not play at all this season, despite attempting a comeback at some point in the year.
4. Kimmo Timonen is named the captain of the Flyers.
5. Claude Giroux breaks the 30 goal mark and finishes the season with 90 points.
6. Jakub Voracek finishes second on the club in scoring behind Claude Giroux.
7. Danny Briere has another sub-par regular season statistically, scoring around 20 goals and 50 points.
8. Matt Read's production dips down slightly from last season's and he pots between 15-18 goals.
9. Sean Couturier flirts with 20 goals, but also finishes with around 15-18.
10. Brayden Schenn eclipses 20 goals.
11. Kimmo Timonen plays through his usual injuries to complete a full 82 game season.
12. Braydon Coburn leads the team in ice team.
13. Luke Schenn neither struggles nor excels, and has a good-but-not-great first season with the Flyers.
14. Scott Hartnell sees his goal total fall back to his usual 20-something goals.
15. Ilya Bryzgalov has a good-but-not-great regular season, finishing around 2.5 GAA and .915 svp.
16. Leighton struggles as the backup getting inconsistent ice time and records a GAA above 3.00.
17. The Flyers will make a significant trade at the deadline and will give up either Matt Read or Scott Laughton in the deal.
18. The Flyers only all star will be Claude Giroux.
19. The Flyers will at some point in the season put Briere on Giroux's wing.
20. Jody Shelley will not play in a single game.
21. Despite their dominance against Pittsburgh last season, the Flyers will win no more than 3 games against the Penguins.
22. The offense will finish in the top 5 in goals scored.
23. The defense will finish in 20th or worse in goals allowed.
24. The Flyers will finish no better than 6th in the conference.
25. The Flyers will get hot in April and May and despite a shaky defense, will shock the hockey world and make it to the Eastern Conference Finals to ultimately lose.