Well, folks. Thursday is the day the Blueshirts officially open the doors to training camp, though reports are circulating that many players have in fact already begun "informal" workouts, both on and off the ice.
Players who have already been spotted on the ice include: Brendan Shanahan, Chris Drury, Scott Gomez, Martin Straka, Henrik Lundqvist, Petr Prucha, Sean Avery, Fedor Tyutin, Ryan Callahan, Michael Rozsival, Marek Malik, Nigel Dawes, Daniel Girardi, Blair Betts, Colton Orr, Thomas Pock, Paul Mara, Mitch Fritz, Marcel Hossa, Ryan Hollweg, Jason Strudwick, Chris Holt, and yes, Darius Kasparaitis. According to Sam Weinman, the rumours that Kaspar looks better than ever are indeed true, though due to his almost $3mil cap hit it's unlikely the Rangers will be able to keep him, even if they wanted to. JJ hasn't yet been spotted, and probably won't be there until Thursday.
Some big questions that surround the Blueshirts this season:
- Who will center Jaromir Jagr this season?
- Who will backup Henrik Lundqvist in net?
- Who will win the vacant 3rd line center position?
- Will the Rangers defense-by-committee be able to get the job done come April?
- Will Henrik Lundqvist sign a contract extension come January?
- Will Sean Avery be able to put a nasty arbitration hearing behind him and live up to expectations?
- Will Fedor Tyutin take it to the next level to become the player he's capable of being?
- Will Petr Prucha become solid 30+ goal scorer?
- Who among the youngins will have a breakout year?
- Is Marc Staal ready for the NHL, and can he do what his brothers have done before him by having breakouts in their rookie years?
Feel free to dicuss.