On the heels of Brian Burke saying that the team is still not a finished product, and he will continue to make changes through free agency and trades, I thought I would take a quick look at the free agents that still remain out there that Burke could show interest in.
The following are some free agents i would inquire about, not necessarily chase....
- Good third line option. Burke knows what he brings to the table. Can help the penalty kill, and chip in with a few points. Forecheck game would be given a boost.
- One year deal, the guy can be physical at times, and contribute to the offense. Good option when used properly; in front of the net on the powerplay, anchor on a skilled line. Burke is a fan.
- Short term deal, he too will help the penalty kill. Physical and a powerful player. Similar to Moen, and brings a lot of experience to a young Leafs team. He is older, so may not be the best option.
- Not the typical Burke player in the least sense, however he is a very fast player, and could be useful on special teams. If Wilson can improve his two way game, he can be seen as a poor mans Andy McDonald on this team.
- Excellent face off guy, and a hometown kid. Can be a major boost to the penalty kill, especially when you win the draws as frequently as he does. Fourth line centre.
- Also fairly old, however he can be relatively cheap and is a good shot blocking and checking line forward. Decent stop gap player. On the fence about considering him.
- Superb face off guy. He can be a versatile player, and a decent utility guy. Good option that can step in and win draws for this team. Cheap too, can step in when there are injuries.
- Great penalty killer, a major role player for the Rangers. Renney would love to have him back, so EDM could be interested. Good option to help our penalty kill.
- Great checking line player. Simple role player, with a ton of character. Willing to do what he has to do for his team. Fourth line player.
- Burke has said that he is Samuel Pahlsson + Offensive Upside. He would be a great addition to this team, and if we were to get him there would be no need for the centres that were previously mentioned. He has until July 15th to accept a contract in the NHL, and the Leafs have left an offer in his hands. If he does not accept the contract or get a deal done with an NHL team before July 15, his four year deal with his Swedish team kicks in.
Personally, I would look to sign Rickard Wallin, Todd Bertuzzi, and/or Travis Moen. Manny Malhotra is also a major option, if Wallin stays in Europe.
Who would you go after? If any?