After Jason Smith got traded there was one big question. Who will be the Oilers Captain? That is a question that probably won't be awnsered until training camp starts in September. With Jason Smith playing in Philadelphia now the Oilers don't have captain, now the obvious choice for captain WOULD HAVE been Ryan Smyth but he is no longer in Edmonton either so I thought I would show some possibilities?
Here are my candidates for the Oilers captaincy.
1. Steve Staios- This is a guy that has a lot of leadership and is ok offensivly and is a good defensive player.
2. Shawn Horcoff- He's a good young player, last year had 16 goals and 35 assists which wasn't his best season, in 05-06 he had a career high 73 points. I think he still is a longshot to get it though.
3. Ethan Moreau- He wore the A last year until he got injured, a good leader, a gritty player, only known to get about 25 points in a season, he has a career +19 rating.
4. Sheldon Souray- Even though he's new to the team he still could potentially get the C, he's from Elk Point, AB, good on the powerplay, gritty player, had a career high 64 points last year, but had a -28 rating.
5. Ales Hemsky- He's no Sidney Crosby but he is a really good young player probably a future All-Star, he's a good play maker, last year he had 13 goals and 40 assists in 64 games, everyone says he would be a much better player if he shot the puck more, had a career high 77 points in 05-06.
Well those are the people I think are worthy of wearing the C this year but here's how I think it will be at the start of the season.
But it could change if they get new players before the start of the season.