Based on Ek's list of who's the best available, I'm forecasting where each player will land this summer:
1. Chris Drury (7.5M) - San Jose. I think they'll sign Drury and trade Marleau. Anaheim already has McDonald and Getzlaf as their top two centers and the Kings have Kopitar and Cammalleri.
2. Scotty Gomez (7M) - Atlanta. Gomez centering a line of Kovalchuk and Hossa. Sick.
3. Daniel Briere (6.75M) - Buffalo. It's in the best interest of both Briere and Buffalo to continue their relationship.
4. Peter Forsberg (4M) - Retire or play for Sweden.
1. Michael Handzus (3.5M) - St. Louis. Will eventually replace the soon-to-be-retiring Doug Weight.
2. Michael Nylander (3.0M) - NY Rangers. Will continue to feed Jagr some pretty sweet passes.
3. Mike Peca (3.0 M) - Philadelphia. The Flyers are desperate for a veteran center and Peca will probably the best of what's left.
4. Keith Tkachuk (2.5M) - St. Louis. Will return to the city that traded him last season.
5. Todd White (2.25M) - Carolina. Will slot into the #3 spot behind Staal and Brind'Amour.
6. Wes Walz (2M) - Minnesota. Will re-sign with the Wild.
1. Mike Comrie (1.25M) - Ottawa. Will re-sign with Ottawa.
2. Brian Smolinski (1M) - Washington. Not a sexy name, but can play on one of the Caps top two lines.
3. Eric Lindros (1M) - Please retire?
#1 Left Wings
1. Ryan Smyth (6.5M) - NY Islanders. In the end, I think Wang & Co. will convince Ryan to stay on the Island.
2. Paul Kariya (4.5M) - Nashville. Will re-sign with the Preds once the new ownership group takes over.
3. Jason Blake (4M) - Toronto. The Leafs will grossly overpay for this overachiever.
#2 Left Wings
1. Gary Roberts (2.5M) - San Jose. Will replace the departing Billy Guerin.
2. Ruslan Fedotenko (1.5M) - Philadelphia. Will return to the Orange & Black and shuffle between the 2nd and 3rd lines.
#3 Left Wings
1. Martin Gelinas (1.5M) - Anaheim. Will look for 2nd or 3rd line duties, keeping Moen and May on the 3rd and 4th lines - where they belong.
#1 Right Wings
1. Brendan Shanahan (4M) - NY Rangers. Will give it one more go around with Jagr and Co.
1. Teemu Selanne (4M) - Retire.
2. Petr Sykora (2.5M) - Calgary. Will slot onto the 2nd line behind Iginla.
#2 Right Wings
1. Scott Hartnell (2.5M) - Montreal. Will bring some toughness to the Habs 2nd line.
2. Ladislav Nagy (1.75M) - Dallas. Will re-sign with the Stars.
3. Dainus Zubrus (1.75M) - Buffalo. Will re-sign with the Sabres.
4. Bill Guerin (1.5M) - Pittsburgh. Will replace the departing Mark Recchi.
#3 Right Wings
1. Scott Nichol (1M) - Colorado. The Avalanche have money to spend.
2. Todd Bertuzzi (750K) - Chicago - The Blackhawks will be one of the few teams willing to take a chance on Big Bert.
Defence 1-2 Pairing
1. Sheldon Souray (6.75M) - Colorado. The Avalanche have money to spend and will waste it here.
2. Kimmo Timonen (7.2M) - Philadelphia. The Flyers find their #1 defenseman, despite overpaying for him.
3. Brian Rafalski (4.0 M) - NJ Devils. Sweet Lou won't lose BOTH Gomez and Rafalski.
Defence 3-4 Pairing
1. Mathieu Schneider (3.5M) - Anaheim. Will replace the retiring Scotty Neidermayer.
2. Roman Hamrlik (2.5M) - Edmonton. Will help out the PP.
3. Craig Rivet (2M) - San Jose. Will smartly stay put.
4. Danny Markov (2M) - Montreal. Will replace Souray.
Defence 5-6 Pairing
1. Cory Sarich (1.75M) - Nashville. Will replace Timonen (as far as adding a veteran defenseman, he won't replace Timonen's offensive production).
2. Aaron Miller (1.25M) - Atlanta. Will help stabilize a defensive unit that has gone through several changes recently.
3. Bryan Berard (1M) - Retire.
1. JS Giguere (6.75M) - Florida. Will open the bank and say "take however much you'd like". Anaheim can still win with Bryzgalov.
2. Dom Hasek (5.5) - Retire.
Please feel free to give your thoughts on where you think some of these players might land.