Home HockeyBuzz Register Login
"Off The Post: Inching Closer to the Future"
Long Island, NY • United States • 25 Years Old • Male
With the Playoffs underway and the Stanley Cup taking center stage, there hasn't been too much talk in Islander Country of what to expect at the draft or next season. It's been pretty quiet, and I'll admit I've been waiting for some news, good news in particular...and it seems that I'm still waiting.

Wade Dubielewicz will hit the open market

It was stated in Newsday that the reason why DP played so many games this season was due to the fact that Dubie was not in the best of shape, forcing the coaching staff to sit Wade for most of the season and ultimately burning out Ricky for his season to end early.

Does anyone else not buy that? After hearing Nolan state over and over all season long that Ricky is "always raring to go," I find it very hard to believe that DP's overwhelming amount of playing time was Dubie's fault. In addition, at the end of the season via Islanders TV, Nolan flat out said that Ricky did choose when he would and would not play for the majority of the games.

When hearing that come directly from the coaches mouth I find it VERY hard to believe that they started DP because Dubie was out of shape, especially since the head coach admitted that they let their egotistical goaltender call the shots.

Don't get me wrong, I think Ricky is a great goaltender and is on his way to becoming one of the best, but the coaching staff has to be firm with him. He may be signed to a 15-year contract, but this is not his team; it's Snow and Nolan's.

To me this looks like a case of the inmates running the asylum and the head care takers are pointing fingers to avoid the blame.

Sure, they offered Dubie a contract, but it contained a 2-way clause because Joey MacDonald has a one-way contract for next year.

So let's get this straight everyone. Management and the coaching staff both stated that Ricky will not be playing as many games next year and that they plan on letting the backup goaltender handle at least 20 games or so, and instead of keeping Dubie to a one-way deal - the goalie who literally carried us on his back into the playoffs last year and finished this season with a strong outing and solid numbers - we're going to let a minor league goaltender with limited NHL experience have the spot.

Sure, it hasn't been announced that MacDonald will be our backup goalie, but with all this emphasis being placed on youth and Joey being pretty young himself, I don't see the Isles attempting to sign someone like Kolzig or Joseph, and they shouldn't. It seems like all fingers are pointing towards Joey Mac, and right now I can't say I'm fond of this.

To be honest, I'm incredibly frustrated. It seems that this organization continues to insult the ones who play their hearts out for this team.

If Joey MacDonald is the back-up, I will support him because I want this team to win, but letting Dubie go is definitely a shame.
Filed Under:   NHL   Islanders   Dubielewicz   MacDonald   DP   Snow   Nolan  
June 2, 2008 1:46 PM ET | Delete
I can't see how Dubie would show up to camp like pizza dough. This guy wanted to be in the NHL his whole life,gets a deal then jerks it in the summer? Come on! Dubie plays his heart out,but maybe he's not ready for a 20 game push. If the Islanders are gonna come close to getting 10 of 15 years from Ricky they need to get the right backup.
June 2, 2008 1:47 PM ET | Delete
Well-written blog! I am completely agreeing with you on everything you said here. Dubie was truly an Islander and wanted to be an Islander, which is not something you hear very often around the NHL. Because of Snow's incompetence with contracts, we are letting Dubie walk now. His two year deal with MacDonald, which posted a two-way first year and one-way second year, is the major reason that Dubie is walking. Why would Dubie ever accept a two-way contract for the first year when he knows he is good enough to be an NHL player, and on some teams, an NHL starting goalie. There is no one to blame but Garth Snow for this contractual issue. Dubie should have been awarded a two year, one-way contract worth atleast $750,000 per year. I am very sad to see him walk, and as you said, I will fully support the next back-up goalie, but it doesn't mean I will be happy about letting Dubie walk. As quickly as Avery could sign with us, we could see Dubie sign with the Rangers and back up Lundqvist.
June 2, 2008 2:32 PM ET | Delete
Dubie Could get a invitation to Rangers camp, he's freinds with Tom Renny.
June 2, 2008 2:42 PM ET | Delete
Dubie will be missed, but the avatar will never change! Maybe Snow continued the great Islander tradition and offered a job in the front office?
June 2, 2008 3:42 PM ET | Delete
once again, the islanders are cursed....... and i dont understand it
June 2, 2008 4:22 PM ET | Delete
Dubi is a great backup. As much as I like Valliquette, he's not able to carry a larger load like Dubi.
June 2, 2008 4:44 PM ET | Delete
I think a good backup for the Islanders/Rangers and even the Habs is Olie Kolzig. He will cost a little more but sometimes insurance is expensive.
June 3, 2008 12:44 AM ET | Delete
CapMess I completely agree, the only way I will feel even a slight bit better is if the Isles grab Olaf Kolzig, and even then I will still miss Dubie simply for his great play in the absence of DP and for his desire to remain with the Isles.
Notice to Internet Explorer Users
There is an issue with the form blow that will make it appear that nothing happens when you click the post message button below. To see your message, after you click the post message button, refresh this page. Sorry for the troubles, we hope to have it fixed soon.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to leave a comment.

Blog Archive