Many users have already written about the Scott/Kessel ordeal, here are some of the most important facts to keep in mind before stating your opinion on the matter:
- Scott was on the ice already during the Tropp fight and stayed on the ice
- Carlyle put Kessel out on the ice, knowing Scott was already out there
- Scott was going to fight whoever was put next to him, be it Kessel, Orr, Carlyle, or anyone else
- Self-defense could maybe, MAYBE, be used for the first slash. But continuing to hack away as he was fighting other players is not self-defense.
- Blatant multiple attempts to injure any other player (especially with a weapon) should be severely punished, regardless of injury or star power
- Number of punches Scott threw at Kessel: Zero
- Number of two-handed slashes Kessel landed on Scott: 2-3
- Number of spears at Scott: 1
- Number of players tangled with Scott when he was speared: 1
- Number of referees tangled with Scott when he was speared: 1
- Number of guys tangled up with Scott when he was being slashed by Kessel: 2-3
- Number of Leafs fans with goggles on: seemingly all of them
- Best reason Leafs fans give for claiming John Scott should be suspended: "He... umm... he grabbed our best player's jersey."
- Best reason Leafs fans give for claiming Ron Rolston should be suspended: "He has John Scott on his team and he let him bring his fists on the ice with him."
John Scott will not and should not be suspended. End of story.