This blog is not meant to find itself attached to a hight level of reality. In fact this is more about finding out what the rest of the Avs faithful would like to see KSE management do to start this team down the road to a healthy rebuild. This is not a blog to be take seriously, but merely speculation and a wish-list for the Avs future.
The first thing that I would love to see the Avs do for their future is acquire a Goalie. Who is available, and who would be a good fit?
1. If I had my way I would be looking for a way to acquire Scott Clemmenson from Lou Lamoriello. He could be had for an affordable price and would be an excellent pick up.
2. J.S. Giguere has gone on the record saying that he believes his problems are mental. A change of scenery could be good for him and the Ducks goalie would look good in an Avs uniform. This could also help the ducks make an attempt to retain some of their defenseman. 5 out of 6 are looking for new contracts before July 1. Jonas Hiller will require less salary and has proven he can hack it as a number 1.
3. Third choice for me would be Manny Fernandez. MF is a legit number 1 and is worth spending some money on in the offseason. His problem is a an injury prone past and the possibility of overpaying in an era where the cap could go down.
The thing that is a problem for me now is that the Avs have yet to develop their own goalie. We need better judges of a goalies potential in our scouting department. Can you say Patrick Roy? Could start out as an assistant coach who is actively involved in scouting goalies.
The next thing that is missing from this team is a BIG shot from the point, or a power play specialist D-Man.
1. Top choice for this position would be Jay Bouwmeester. He plays in every role that the Panthers have. He logs HUGE minutes, and Adam Foote has one more year on his contract. Foote is becoming more and more injury prone. Between Foote and likely Sakic being done we will see 9 million in salary freed up the next two seasons. Clark has one more year and is likely on the trade block freeing up more space to go after this guy this summer. This is the type of player we NEED.
2. Spend a lot of time working with Kevin Shattenkirk and prepare him for the role he is going to play when he moves up to the big club as son as next year. He looked VERY good at the WJC and looks to be very reliable d-man for many years to come. Spend the time on him, he will be worth it.
Pick up a legitimate 3rd line, "checking center.
1. Rob Niedermayer is available July 1. At his age he is available for an affordable price. Don't sign him form more than 3 seasons. Guite is good in this role but no longer big enough to handle the likes of the Sharks and Flames. We have some big players coming into their own(Stewart, Jones). However we need someone who is not intended to be an offensive player but a shut down guy. This is a position we need to take from free agency because they can help develop an energy guy into their role. This is a tough and thankless position and the help of a veteran presence to learn this position would be priceless.
That is my wishlist.
Today the Avs play the Ducks. Both teams are in need of wins, but the Avs have to play with more desperation than they have shown in a long time. This game is nearly their last chance to make a run for the playoffs. If they do not win several games in the near future we will be on the outside looking in, and looking at the draft.