Just before the 2006-2007 season started, I purchased myself an XM radio for the sole purpose of listening to Home Ice, XM204. And every day was great radio. Lots of hockey talk, hockey highlights, and hockey guests -- including our favorite anonymous hockey blogger. Great radio for the hockey fan.
And then..... the season ended.
And apparently, so did XM204.
We all know here that there is ALWAYS a lot to talk about this time of year. The UFA free-agent frenzy has been incredible. Arbitration hearings are coming up. Lots of live press conferences announcing HHOF inductees, free agent signings, hirings, firings, ticket drives, and one designed specifically to declare a blood oath of revenge at Kevin Lowe...
And where is XM, the EXCLUSIVE home of the NHL? Good question.....
Here's a run-down of what the daytime programming at the station is like these days.
- a two-hour morning show, half of which is spent rehashing the previous days' afternoon show.
- the same morning show repeated two more times. So if something breaks in the morning, you may have to wait 4 hours to hear it mentioned.
- a two-hour afternoon show, half of which is rehashing the one hour of original material in the previous 2-hour morning show, which you may have already heard three times.
- No live coverage of any press conferences -- not even the Hockey Hall of Fame inductee announcement, which was in Toronto. (By the way, the show originates in Toronto.) Only (perhaps) sound bites afterwards... and only after waiting for their afternoon show.
- The kicker, this morning, on the morning of a trade between Ottawa and Boston there was a 15-minute discussion on....... the Def Leppard Concert the previous evening. Nothing against Def Leppard.... but this is a hockey channel, guys?
I realize that this is the off-season, but it strikes me that as good as XM204 is, there is so much more they could be doing to make it even better.... but choose not to do so. One would think it would be in XM and the NHL's best interests to try a little harder to generate some interest....