A quarter way through the season and no trades by the Blue Jackets to acquire a defenseman. With plenty of teams with defensemen on the market, here are some logical ones that may make some sense in Columbus.
Notice to Internet Explorer Users
1. Roman Polak, Toronto Maple Leafs. This should not come as a surprise to anybody. The Leafs are at the bottom of the league and are looking to rebuild. The veteran defenseman is a pending unrestricted free agent, and is a big, physical, shot-blocking defenseman. He is exactly what Columbus needs. Also, he knows Jarrmo Kekalainen from their days in St. Louis with the Blues.
2. Luke Schenn, Philadelphia Flyers. Another pending UFA, Schenn has increased his trade value with the performance he has done this season in Philadelphia. With an over $3 million dollar salary, some teams may not be interested unless they retain salary, and that would increase his value even more.
3. Patrick Wericoch, Ottawa Senators. With the Senators saying most of their defensive group is available for trade, he would be a good pickup as he is a 4/5/6 defenseman that doesn't get the ice time he deserves.
4. Dennis Seidenberg, Boston Bruins. Someone whose name has died down because of injury, but the veteran defenseman has said he would waive his no trade clause if Boston asked him to do so. Plus, he may know Bill Zito as Zito used to be the agent to Tukka Rask.
5. Sami Vatanen, Anaheim Ducks. Rumors were circling earlier this year of teammate Cam Fowler being on the move, and it seems to be more likely that Anaheim may not be able to afford three young, multimillion dollar defensemen. Kekalainen has a liking for his hometown Finnish players, and Vatanen could likely play top-2 minutes on this team nightly.
What are your thoughts? More to come...
There is an issue with the form blow that will make it appear that nothing happens when you click the post message button below. To see your message, after you click the post message button, refresh this page. Sorry for the troubles, we hope to have it fixed soon.