The latest deferment of news and happenings is back to start the new year. Today's will discuss the World Junior Championships, trade rumors, injuries, and more.
Notice to Internet Explorer Users
Congrats to Team USA and captain (and Blue Jacket prospect) Zach Werenski and winger Sonny Milano on winning bronze in an 8-3 route on (CBJ prospect) Gabriel Cleasson's Team Sweden.
Here are some stats of Blue Jackets prospects during the tournament:
D Zach Werenski (USA)- 7GP- 2G, 7A, 9P
LW Sonny Milano (USA)- 7GP- 1G, 7A, 8P
D Gabriel Cleasson (SWE)-7GP-0G,3A,3P
1. Ryan Johansen- Now the rumor that won't go away in Columbus, Johansen trade rumors picked up last night after reports came out saying the Preds were really close to acquire him in a package with a high salary player for a veteran forward and a top flight defenseman. It's hard to define a top flight defenseman in Nashville as they have three- Shea Weber, Seth Jones, and Roman Josi. However, reports are the Predators won't cough up either one of these guys, and are more willing to part with Ryan Ellis or Mattias Ehkolm. The veteran forward coming in. Coming to Columbus, it would probably be a younger guy in their roster, like a Colin Wilson or a Craig Smith. The veteran forward leaving. Is Scott Hartnell someone they want back? That's been discussed. I wouldn't be surprised if Rene Borque is discussed as a rental. Also, Calgary, Montreal, and Minnesota have been rumored lately.
2. Kerby Rychel. The youngster has been concerned with his future with the Blue Jackets as right now, he stands deeper in the roster because of a lot of the wingers this squad has. His father; and agent want him to be in the best situation possible to improve his career and want him to be on a team that will get him more opportunity. Personally, I feel that he is higher up the depth charts than many are saying. I feel that he will be in the NHL next year; however, the Jackets make moves and don't get rid of him, he could be on the big team after February 29.
3. Jonathan Drouin. What a story this has been to kick off 2016. After being assigned to the Syracuse Crunch of the American Hockey League, his agent comes out saying he requested a trade. With him now getting more "playing time", the majority of the league is calling into Steve Yzerman to find a price, and he is treating his value like a top line forward as he was the third overall pick in the 2013 NHL Draft.
4. Jonathan Bernier. A struggling netminder in search of confidence. Doesn't this story sound familiar Blue Jackets fans? It may be coming again. According to Eklund of Hockeybuzz, the Jackets are interested in him as they are using rookie netminder sat this time due to injuries.
1. Big Mac. After suffering an injury in overtime on Saturday against Washington, the Jackets placed him on IR, and recalled goalie Joonas Korpisalo from the Lake Erie Monsters.
2. Clarkson. Another one. He is back on IR, which means more playing time for Jared Boll. Clarkson has only two points in 18 games. Boll is pointless this season.
3. Bobs. Sergei Bobrovsky returned to the IR after reoccurrence of his groin injury came back, forcing them to recall Anton Forsberg from the AHL.
4. Calvert. Matt Calvert has been placed on IR and is out 3-4 weeks. Is this Rychel's shot to play in the NHL?
5. The Return. Some good news, right? Maybe. After the Jackets activated Cody Goloubef from the IR, the Jackets waived Andrew Bodnarchuk, but was claimed off waivers from the Colorado Avalanche, weakening the club's defense even further.
Brandon Saad is representing the Columbus Blue Jackets in Nashville as their NHL All-Star, as selected by the league. Hopefully, he represents the Blue Jackets well in the three-on-three tournament.
More to come…
There is an issue with the form blow that will make it appear that nothing happens when you click the post message button below. To see your message, after you click the post message button, refresh this page. Sorry for the troubles, we hope to have it fixed soon.