I read a brief "what if" that suggested Jeff Carter might get traded for Alex Semin.
There are virtually NO RUMORS to support this particular trade...at least that I have seen or heard.
All that we know for sure is that both players have been mentioned as available.
I thought about this for about 2 minutes and realized this is the no-brainer trade that HAS to be made.
1) Salary Cap Math - It makes sense for both teams. The Caps have the room...once they get rid of Semin and into next year. The Blue Jackets are up against the cap...but next year things get a little easier and Semin would just be a rental for them this year. The Jackets could probably throw in another player...like Jared Boll...to help even the costs with what's left in this season.
2) Carter doesn't want to play in Columbus...PERIOD. Is that going to change? I DON'T THINK SO.
3) Carter would probably be a good fit in Washington. He's got enough grit to his game (when not injured) and can score. He's essentially the new Mike Knuble...now that the old Mike Knuble looks to be fading off into the sunset. Both Carter and Boll would help the Caps in the playoffs this year.
4) Semin needs a change of scenery. It's obvious to me that the guy with all that sick talent is not going to be able to find himself again in Washington. Columbus is probably not the place he will do it either...but the change...even if for a month or so...might be enough to help him on the road to rediscovering/reinventing his game.
5) Columbus gets a guy for a tryout...and if they like what they see, they can sign him (assuming he would sign) and for a contract that's not as long as the one that Carter has).
6) Carter's contract looks better in Washington...assuming he wants to play there. If he does, and IF he plays like he did in Philly (with maybe a little more production in the playoffs) his contract begins to look a lot better in Wshington than it does right now in Columbus.
So there you have it...
Carter and Boll
Even if Columbus doesn't sign Semin, they get rid of Carter and have room on their books going forward.
Washington gets a player that's got a contract that's a lot closer to the player's worth (5.3M) than what they were paying Semin this year (6.7M) and the "throw in" of Jared Boll makes them a little nastier too.
In case you were wondering, here's what their career totals look like to date:
Thanks for reading!!
Are you nuts. Semin walks
So what if he walks...that free's up a bunch of money for the Blue Jackets to 'rebuild' again...or whatever they want to call it. Otherwise, they have X more years of Carter on their books. Dump the unhappy guy for a rental...salary wash this year...money available next.
that's an awful deal for CBJ. They give up a ton for Carter then move him plus another player for a rental to what, finish dead last? How does the CBJ Gm not get fired after that trade? Brutally unfair.
If I'm a Columbus fan and that trade happens, I'm bringing torches and pitchforks to Nationwide Arena.
Re-title Why Semin for Carter Does NOT Make Sense
i don't want Carter, but i'll take that deal.
As a Caps fan, I think you're overvaluing Semin, btw.
So dumb. You NEED to get some value for carter. Semin barely tries on a good team, he wouldn't do sh*t for a terrible team. He would flee for russia after the season or a better team. For how much Columbus gave up they need to get as much value back in return for him. I'd take carter over semin any day of the week
Personally, I have been saying this all season. I would not expect the Blue Jackets to throw in Boll, but I would expect the Caps to include Neuvirth and/or a draft pick w/ Semin. Semin would be more of a replacement for losing Voracek to the Flyers, and could be an excellent linemate for Nash. Carter, given his time in Philly, should fit in immediately with Hunter's system in Washington, and could help Johansson transfer over to the winger that his skill set fits better.
Carter is going to the T. http://my.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?user_id=149225
Brutal trade proposal but a good basis for a trade here. WAS has a lot of assets right now and could make it happen and you're right the cap wash could work and both teas could get what they need. How about: WAS: CarterCJB: Semin, Shultz, COL 1st, WAS 2nd,
I have to admit...I purposely made the trade one sided because I think Columbus ownership just needs to jettison Carter. A more realistic trade would surely involve something Columbus would be sure to keep...draft picks or as mentioned perhaps Neuvirth.
@coffe junkieThat is way too much the other way. I wouldn't give up COL 1st for Carter alone.
This trade makes no sense for Columbus, as there is nothing coming back to help them with the future. Perhaps a Neuvirth / Semin for Carter / Sanford basis, with draft picks included. Columbus gets a goalie for the future who still has a year left and then is an RFA, and Washington gets a guy who can backup Vokoun to finish off the year. The capitals still have Holtby in the minors for the goalie of the future.
It's not fun to post a blog without responses...clearly, as ProHockeyTalk has demonstrated repeatedly, when you put something up with an angle that begs for comment, you get them. While I'm not sure what the details might be...a trade between the Caps and Jackets, with Carter for Semin at the heart of it....has merit.
That's a trade fart. Even adding in the nessesary draft picks (like 2 or 3 first coming from Washington) I think Columbus has had it's fill of Lazy Russian players.
Backstrom2- Then you won't be getting Carter. Shultz isn't even playing and you would be happy to rid the cap space, Semin isn't really a trading piece (last month he was lazy and no one wanted him!), and CBJ need something close to what they traded for Carter. I disagree that it is too much. Plain and simple you are pretty much giving up a 1st and 2nd for Carter and Shultz which CBJ could use (you can't/don't).
Semin for Carter? Yeah right Washington gets Jeff Carter for 10 more years at $5.5 Million per year and Alexander Semin Walks on Columbus after 4 to 5 weeks what a joke.
Why would Alexander Semin go from a potential playoff team to a non playoff team i dont think so.
RedWingGuy51 - I'm pretty sure Semin does not have a no trade/movement clause...he won't have a choice.
icedog97 Just saying that Columbus would be getting screwed in the deal I'm sure there going to want to have more then just Semin especially if he walks and he will from Columbus!