With the holiday season in full bloom, here are some things that the Columbus Blue Jackets players, coaches, and management might be asking for for this time of year.
1. A time machine. This bad start of the season is the reason why they are in a big hole, at the bottom of the league. If Tortorella was here since the start of the season, the Jackets would be above 0.500.
2. A first aid kit. Talk about the injury bug. This is the second straight season where lots of Blue Jackets players were injured. The biggest player that's been hurt is Sergei Bobrovsky. Last year, he broke his thumb and sustained a knee injury. This year, it is his groin.
3. A resolution. Trade rumors have been occurring more and more because of the poor play of Ryan Johansen. This year has not been his best year, and because of this occurrence, his name has popped up in trade rumors. It may come down to him performing better after the holidays or the Jackets saying farewell to another star forward.
4. Cap Space. With the money spent on forwards, not enough is being spent on the defense of this team. Imagine this roster with the money to get someone via trade or free agency.
5. Publicity. Ticket sales and nationally televised games are very low for this club. Even after acquiring Brandon Saad, this team rarely gets covered on channels like NBCSN, ESPN, TSN, etc. Even though winning is the easiest way for this to improve, the expectations are greater than the reality at this point in time for Columbus. I know this fanbase is amazing. The energy in Nationwide is second to none, it is just that there can be more energy with more people and more visibility by playing on big channels. And maybe pulling off upsets. A couple seasons ago, they got their publicity by playing Pittsburgh in the playoffs. Now, it is time to go back.
Happy Holidays everyone. More to come…