"Holy jumping" as what Darren Pang would say. In St. Louis last night, the Blue Jackets suffered a 2-1 overtime defeat.
The Blues honored defenseman Jay Bowmeester for playing 1,000 NHL regular season games, and scored the team's first goal of the game, which was his first of the season. The only player with an assist on the goal was former Blue Jacket Scottie Upshall.
With 43 seconds remaining in overtime, Vladimir Tarasenko gets the puck from the blue line, dekes out Brandon Saad, and beats Curtis McElhinney for the game winner. Alex Steen and Kevin Shattenkirk had the assists.
The lone Columbus goal came from winger Josh Anderson off a turnover of Kevin Shattenkirk courtesy of Boone Jenner's pressure behind the net.
Carter Hutton was the starting goalie for the Blues, stopping 20 of 21 shots for a 0.952 save percentage (95.2%). Curtis McElhinney made his season debut, stopping 28 of 30 shots for a 0.933 save percentage (93.3%).
CBJ Three Stars of the Night
1. Josh Anderson- goal (5)
2. Curtis McElhinney- 2GA on 30SA (93.3 SV%)
3. Boone Jenner- helping set up goal
On the Hershey Bears v. Albany Devils game last night
The Hershey Bears defeated the Albany Devils in a 4-0 shutout. The Bears had three goals in 3 minutes and 6 seconds in the first period against MacKenzie Blackwood. Former Habs winger Christian Thomas; former Canes center Brad Malone; and Caps prospect Stanislav Galiev scored the first period goals.
Thomas' goal was a power play goal, and it came off a rebound attempt for his third of the season; the goal was unassisted after a turnover in the slot. Malone scored off a breakaway feed blocker side from alternate captain and fan favorite Chris Bourque. Galiev's goal was his first of the year; Colby Williams and Thomas had the assists.
Blackwood allowed three goals on six shots faced, and Scott Wedgewood came in to relieve him.
Colby Williams beat Wedgewood off a rebound shot from Madison Bowey for his second goal in two nights.
The Bears starting goalie was Vitek Vanecek, who got his first career AHL shutout, and first star honors.
Other thoughts on the game.
1. Jakub Vrana will make the NHL. He has the tools and the skill set. The Capitals are good at drafting first round players, and he will add on.
2. Madison Bowey reminds me of Seth Jones a bit. A young offensive minded defenseman.
3. The Devils have good young defensive prospects in Reese Scarlett; Brandon Gromley; Steve Santini; and Josh Jacobs.
4. Not enough offensive prospects on the Devils, but Miles Wood probably has the best shot of making the NHL.
5. Both Devils goalies should make the NHL. Big fans of both, but a rough night for Blackwood.
6. Vancek might make the NHL, but the Capitals are good at drafting goalies.
On Marek Svatos
Rest In Peace to Svatos. He has passed away last night at the age of 34. He played with the Avalanche, Predators, and Senators. Svatos was one of few Avalanche players that dominated in the 2000s, but he fell of the league after his one 30 goal season.
More to come...
This is the perfect place for getting all kinds of updates regarding the hockey game. Here it discusses the match details of the Blue Jackets. Happy diamonds rings for cheap to hear the latest updates regarding all kinds of hockey games, player details, and match updates. Keep up the good work.