The rumors are beginning to swirl around the franchise that for the first time since the 2015-16 season that the postseason is not in their plans. In the surprising Central Division, they sit outside of the playoffs with the struggling Nashville and Detroit clubs. With their performance thus far, who could be moved?
Pierre-Luc Dubois. Kidding. That already happened.
1. RD David Savard. According to Eklund of Hockeybuzz, "his market value is one first round draft pick. The Flyers are interested."
I must say, that would be a great return value for a former fourth-round selection. Savy is in the final year of a 5 year, $21.25M contract, with a $4.25M cap hit. Savard's salary for this season is $4M. He currently sits with 5 assists in 24 games this season for Columbus. Savard's gritty style of play has gotten him noticed by clubs in the past, specifically Toronto, Tampa, Boston, and Pittsburgh. Just look at his play in the playoffs against them. His size and physicality helped this team, and could help another.
Ek also mentioned Florida in the race as well, and that makes sense considering former AGM Bill Zito is now the GM in Florida. Ek's only worry with Florida is how far they are willing to buy with Tampa being the King of the Central.
2. LW Nick Foligno. Oh captain. My captain. Coming over in 2012 for LD Marc Methot, this trade has worked out for both since it has happened to the former Star and Golden Knight select.
The captain is in the final year of his six year, $33M dollar contract, garnering him $5.5M. Foligno has 4 goals and 7 helpers in 25 games for the Union Blue. No mention of interest, but both he and Savard have been on hockey's trade bait boards on TSN and SportsNet in Canada.
Where could Foligno make sense?
1. Boston. Oh boy. What a Boston type of player between goal scoring and physicality. He fits the mold for this type of playoff competitor.
2. Toronto. Foligno could play up and down the lineup for a team that needs to help the youth in the hockey mecca.
3. Tampa Bay. Or should I say Champa Bay. This team can add the size to help them succeed and he could play a role there on either side or down the middle.
4. NY Rangers. Maybe an offseason move, but he could help the kids become better pros in the Big Apple, plus his connections the President John Davidson.
5. Florida. Just like the Big Apple, Bill Zito is down there with former Jackets Anthony Duclair, Alex Wennberg, Markus Nutivarra, and Sergei Bobrovsky.
What could he go for? Optimistically, I would love a first round pick, but I think a second and a prospect makes sense for the Columbus captain.
3. C Riley Nash. The former first round pick of the Edmonton Oilers has become a surpise player for Columbus in his contract year. Nash is in the final year of a 3 year, $8.25M million dollar contact, earning him $2.75M. In 24 games played, he has had 2 goals and 3 assists.
What is his price for a third/fourth line center/winger? Probably a third or fourth round pick.
Where makes sense for him?
1. Boston. His former team makes a fit with their gritty down the middle or on the wings.
2. Colorado. The Avs love snagging former Blue Jackets with AGM Chris Mcfarland out there with Joe Sakic.
3. Florida. He could add to their bottom six and push them to compete with Tampa physically.
What are your thoughts? Tell me your trade hypotheticals for Columbus.
More to come...