I don’t know if any of you have caught this blog series on Puck Daddy’s blog
I have been thoroughly enjoying reading why other people love hockey.
I will say that it made me think if I had to knock it down to just 5 reasons what would I put about why I love hockey so much.
1. Egalitarian sport. Ok I know this is almost always my argument with my football loving co-workers, everyone on the ice has the opportunity to touch the puck and make the score. Yes, not everyone has the same minutes. Yes, some players need to work on putting the puck in the twine but realistically anyone, including goaltenders, can score. No need to switch from the offense to the defense to make the score happen either. The squad that defends can be the same group that lights the lamp.
2. The beauty of the play. Ok well I think we all know I am a photographer. I love crisp passes and the up tempo style. It is energetic and artsy all at the same time. To me seeing a guy get the puck through a ton of bodies in front to another guy that deflects the puck, is art and skill. You have to have the vision on what you want to achieve and see the route to get it there.
3. Hockey Fans. Hockey fans are often just like the players. They are good people. They are highly passionate about their sport and support of their teams. They are big on debates about line combinations, salary caps, systems, in arena presentations, ice girls, hockey bloggers, Bettman as commissioner and collecting memorabilia. They are mostly well informed on the game they love. They make some of the most creative signs.
title="Anna's Sign by neat1325, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm3.static.flick...88_c86be4e970_o.jpg"
width="800" height="600" alt="Anna's Sign" /></a>
title="IMG_0028 by neat1325, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm3.static.flick...35_38561798c5_o.jpg"
width="800" height="600" alt="IMG_0028" /></a>
title="the price is wrong..... by neat1325, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm4.static.flick...87_b27519c732_o.jpg"
width="800" height="600" alt="the price is wrong....." /></a>
4. The players. Hockey players are some of the nicest, most down to earth people you will ever meet. They understand hockey is a team sport. They stick together and battle it out together. Yes, this does often create what can seem a very boring team personality. I would love to see the individuals under that media mask at times. This is just all part of being good team guys though. They care what they say and are willing to shoulder the blame.
5. Hockey is a family. Hockey folks tend to all stick together. They do things for each other out of love regardless of team they support. The hockey community is one like no other that I have ever witnessed.