Yes, it sucks that Edmonton won the draft lottery, outside of Edmonton they are reviled as a worthless loser of an organization and yet get the main prize of this generation. Or do they?
They get to draft Conner McDavid but that doesn’t guarantee a that McDavid plays a game for the Oilers. On TV the analysts looked downtrodden, the other G.M.’s rolled their eyes and fans across North America just said, “This is Bulls*&t” when Edmonton won. Even McDavid looked very down about the whole thing, certainly wasn't beaming with sunshine.
If Conner Mcdavid wants to go from being a wildly talented player to wildly talented player revered as a hockey god by the entire hockey world outside of the concrete snow dungeon known as Edmonton, he will follow this simple plan to “Lindros” the oilers without coming off in a negative light as Lindros did when he snubbed the Nordiques. We'll term it McJesusing the Oilers instead.
1. Get drafted by the Oilers and be humble about it. Say and do all the right things about the city and the team.
2. Have agent “look at all of his options” I.E. “ We’re looking at all of clients options on his entry level deal, he’s unique and should be treated as such”
3. Agent very publically lets it be known he is advising his client, (his very humble and sweet kid of a client) that he (the selfish and horrible agent) is wondering about Oiler compensation from the NHL should he not sign his ELC as part of a bargaining chip. (Yes everyone knows he’ll get max salary but what about all the private limos, estate rooms on the road, ice time issues etc?)
4. Let time slip away on ELC while privately telling Oilers he’s not going to sign there.
5. Leak it to the media to get the buzz and pressure on to trade his rights.
6. Stick to it. Agent tells media that he feels his client would be better served going back to the draft and taking his chances with an organization that values him more. (it’s all BS, everyone will know but it won’t be coming from McDavid, he’ll come off clean as a whistle). Hey, his client just wants to play for Canada at the Juniors, it's his dream as a hockey Patriot.
7. Edmonton either trades his rights for a massive haul to another team or lets him go for compensation from the NHL.
8. McDavid’s real reason for not signing in Edmonton gets “leaked” to the media via his agent that he didn’t want to go to such a dysfunctional organization, that he heard bad things about the city.
9. McDavid becomes the hero of the hockey world, everyone agrees with him and balance is restored
The compensation from The NHL is stated as follows:
8.3 Compensatory Draft Selections. (a) In addition to the seven (7) rounds of the Entry Draft, there shall be an additional number of Compensatory Draft Selections not to exceed the number of Clubs to be in the League in the following League Year. (b) In the event a Club loses its draft rights to an Unsigned Draft Choice drafted in the first round of the Entry Draft (except as a result of failing to tender a required Bona Fide Offer (as defined below)), who (i) is again eligible for the Entry Draft, (ii) becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent, or (iii) dies, a Compensatory Draft Selection shall automatically be granted to that Club, which Compensatory Draft Selection shall be the same numerical choice in the second round in the Entry Draft immediately following the date the Club loses such rights. By way of example, if a Club cannot sign the third pick in the first round, it will receive the third pick in the second round as compensation.
What this means is McDavid holds the cards, if they’re played right he has the power of a UFA almost to say trade me, even pick a destination, or lose me for the 31st pick overall in 2016.
The NHL would not dispute this, they hate that he’ll be playing in some frozen arctic corner of Canada and not in say, Arizona or Toronto, where U.S. Media would see him all the time.
Maybe, just maybe, he lives up to his moniker as McJesus and answers the Leagues prayers.
P.S. Pat Steinberg didn’t help me find the compensation information but I still love him anyway.