We all know Sutter likes to make a splash at the draft, we also know in deep drafts he has traditionally traded down for more picks. What makes this draft a little different is that there is no first round pick next year to bank on. The schools of thought being trade down and get two okay guys or trade up and get a sure fire blue chip prospect.
In addition the Flames have signaled that they think they are close, maybe a piece or two away and in order to get those pieces one would assume there would have to be some salary moved. Calgary has takes to drafting big power wingers or skilled centers, there seems to be a glut of good defensive prospects and goalie prospects in the system so would would assume they will try and draft a forward again if possible. Some of the forwards projected to be around at that stage that fit the Flames profile are:
Carter Ashton- Winger- power forward- 6-3 205lbs
Jordan Schroeder- Center- Dynamic center- 5'8 175lbs
Zack Kassian- Winger- Power forward- 6-2 210 lbs
To go off the board and draft a defensive forward is not out of the question (i.e. Nystrom) and if that is the case look for Landon Ferraro a center who is a defensive guy who can also score...and also plays for Bent Sutter's rebels...
In short I would look for a few things at this draft:
1. Sutter to try and move some Salary (Primeau, Vandermeer).
2. Sutter to trade down if a couple of the guys that he wants are still available.
3. A large trade that makes everyone squeal like little girls.
4. Drafting of a power forward most likely whl, I will put my money on Carter Ashton if he is still there.
Some things that I do not see happening:
1. A trade for Danny Heatley/ trading away Phaneuf (especially now that Brent is coach)
2. Trading to move up in the draft.
3. Drafting a center (Backlund, Wahl, Armstrong are still coming up)
4. Drafting a goalie in the early rounds.
Let me know your thoughts on it, one of the most fun hockey days next to Trade Deadline and free agency.